Nigeria lost $32bn to corruption under Jonathan – DFID

Jonathan, PDP

About $32bn was lost to corruption during the six-year administration of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development said on Monday.

The agency said the huge amount represented 16 per cent of the previous government’s resources that could have been channeled to development.

The agency’s Head of Office, DFID Nigeria, Debbie Palmer, said this at the expression of undergraduate debates challenge to celebrate this year’s international anti-corruption day.

The event was organized by a non-governmental organization, Youngstars Foundation Initiative in Abuja.

She said millions of dollars tied up in legal challenges remained in other countries.

Palmer said: “An independent report estimates that up to $32bn was lost to corruption under the previous government. This is around 15 per cent of state resources during the period and could well be an under-estimate.

“So the estimate is that nearly 16 per cent of the previous government’s money was lost to corruption. That is a staggering amount of money. And that is money that is to all of you and to your future. That is why we all should care about corruption.

“Millions of dollars also remain in other jurisdictions tied up in legal challenges.”

Palmer said youths in the country have a critical role to play in President Muhammadu Buhari’s anti-graft fight.

She added that the UK is committed to supporting Nigeria to tackle corruption in all its various forms through its anti-corruption programme in Nigeria.

Advertisements

India bans day time advertisement of condoms

India on Tuesday banned telecast of condom advertisements on TV during day time, a move that has invited fierce criticism from campaigners of safe sex.

In an advisory, India’s Information and Broadcasting Ministry has asked all TV channels in this country not to air condom advertisements between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. local time to avoid exposure of such material to children.

“It has been brought to the notice of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting that some channels carry advertisements of condoms repeatedly which are alleged to be indecent especially for children.

“In view of the above, all TV channels are hereby advised not to telecast the advertisements of condoms which are for a particular age group and could be indecent/ inappropriate for viewing by children,” the ministry added.

The ministry has said the condom advertisements should only be aired late night till early morning, and asked TV channels to ensure strict adherence to the provisions of Cable Television Networks Rules.

The ministry has also warned of action against any TV channel found flouting its order, which comes in the wake of a plea by the Advertising Standards Council of India ( ASCI ) earlier this month to decide the telecast timing of such advertisements.

“The ministry has taken a call on our request. ASCI had received several complaints on the content of condom advertisments… (which) were explicit for children.

“The main issue was with the timing of the advertisements,” Shweta Purandare, secretary general of ASCI, told the media.

Doctors and critics, however, came down heavily on the government’s restrictions on telecast of such advertisements, saying such a move will prove counterproductive for campaigns against unwanted pregnancies, unsafe abortions and unsafe sex.

“Sex education in schools may not be enough for teenagers. Good condom advertisements can help curb unwanted pregnancies, which are on the rise among teens, by giving the right message.

“I think it’s a wrong step by the government,” Dr. Gauri Kaushik, a gynacologist, said Tuesday.

Poonam Mutreja, executive director of non-governmental body, Population Foundation of India, echoed similar sentiments.

“There are 13 per cent unwanted pregnancies in India, there are nearly 15 million abortions.

“This decision is a red flag for me,” she told the media.

THE NATION/NAN

Serial Killer Taunts Police In New Letter, Claims There Are More Victims

A convicted serial killer sent a letter to a South Carolina newspaper claiming police hadn’t found all of his victims ― and he’s not planning to help them.

Todd Kohlhepp, who earlier this year pleaded guilty to seven counts of murder, wrote an eight-page letter to the Spartanburg Herald-Journal in South Carolina claiming there were more victims outside of the state.

Yes there is more than seven,” Kohlhepp wrote. “I tried to tell investigators and I did tell FBI, but it was blown off. It’s not an addition problem, it’s an multiplication problem. Leaves the state and leaves the country. Thank you private pilot’s license.”

He added: “At this point, I really don’t see any reason to give numbers or locations.”

Todd Kohlhepp is currently serving seven consecutive life sentences plus 60 years, with no possibility of parole for seven murders.
Todd Kohlhepp is currently serving seven consecutive life sentences plus 60 years, with no possibility of parole for seven murders.
Don Wood, chief division counsel with the FBI’s Columbia office, told The Associated Press there was a pending investigation. He did not elaborate.

Kohlhepp, who worked as a realtor, killed seven people in South Carolina between 2003 and 2016, including four people at a motorcycle shop in 2003. He was arrested last year when a missing woman named Kala Brown was rescued from the storage container where Kohlhepp had kept her in chains for two months.

Brown told police Kohlhepp had shot and killed her boyfriend, whose body was also found on the property. She said Kohlhepp bragged that his body count was in the “high two-digits.”

When confronted about that boast, the killer was vague.

“I don’t think that’s going to help my case right now,” Kohlhepp told investigators, according to Fox Carolina. “I’ll give it to you. I just don’t want to give it to you today.”

Kohlhepp’s guilty plea spared him the death penalty. The 46-year-old is currently serving seven consecutive life sentences plus 60 years, with no possibility of parole.

  • This article originally appeared on HuffPost.

Trump Lawyers Want A Second Special Counsel

Trump Lawyers Want A Second Special Counsel
President Donald Trump’s legal team says it’s fed up with the Justice Department and the FBI “witch hunt” into whether his campaign colluded with the Russian government.
President Donald Trump’s legal team says it’s fed up with the Justice Department and the FBI “witch hunt” into whether his campaign colluded with the Russian government.

After a newly reported conflict of interest in the office of Special Counsel Robert Muller, Trump’s lawyers said they want a second special counsel ― one to investigate Mueller’s team, which is leading the probe into Russia and Trump’s campaign.

Fox News reported late Monday that Nellie H. Ohr, the wife of a senior Justice Department official who was demoted last week for not being forthcoming about meetings with Fusion GPS, the firm behind the anti-Trump dossier, worked for Fusion for a part of last year.

The Department of Justice and FBI cannot ignore the multiple problems that have been created by these obvious conflicts of interests,” Jay Sekulow, one of Trump’s lawyers, told Axios on Monday night after the Fox report. “These new revelations require the appointment of a special counsel to investigate.”

The president’s legal team added that they trust Mueller and want to “get to the finish line” with him, despite reports indicating that Trump has considered firing Mueller. They said they plan to fully cooperate with Mueller’s investigation, confident that Trump will be cleared of wrongdoing.

The New York Times reported on another potential conflict of interest earlier this month. Mueller reassigned a top FBI agent, Peter Strzok, over the summer after it was discovered that Strzok had sent anti-Trump text messages to FBI lawyer Lisa Page, who worked for Mueller’s team.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions apparently contemplated the idea of appointing a second special counsel in November, according to The Washington Post.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

  • This article originally appeared on HuffPost.

A Lil’ Positivity:French firms to invest in Nigeria

A consortium of 30 French companies on Monday expressed readiness to invest in key sectors of the Nigerian economy.

The Head of French delegation, Mr. Philippe Labonne, made this known when he led the investors on a visit to the Executive Secretary, Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC), Yewande Sadiku, in Abuja.

Labonne listed the key sectors to include banking, infrastructure, renewable energy and youth empowerment.

He said the decision by the companies to invest in Nigeria was taken following a directive by the French government for French companies to increase their investments in Nigeria.

According to him, the Nigerian economic environment is encouraging following the recent stability in the country’s foreign exchange market.

In a bid toward achieving their investment objective, Labonne said most of the French companies would form strategic partnerships with their Nigerian counterpart.

“We are here to access the investment environment in Nigeria to enable us take advantage of Nigeria’s investment opportunities.

“We have about 30 companies in this delegation in sectors such as infrastructure, services, agriculture and banking and the purpose of this meeting is to identify key sectors where we can invest.

“We are interested in many areas such as energy, agriculture, services, especially toward youths and we will identify other areas subsequently,’’ Labonne said.

The NIPC Executive Secretary said Nigeria remains a top destination of capital inflows in the African continent.

According to Sadiku, Nigeria is strategically located in Africa to serve the needs of many countries as a regional hub to the continent.

 

THE NATION